METABOLISM VERSUS AGE

Katharine Lindner katel at mv.mv.com
Mon Aug 25 00:20:32 EST 1997

"Tycho M. Hoogland" <tycho at hoogland.demon.nl> writes:

> My question with respect to the molecular of aging is the following. Is it
>known what kind of relationship (linear, nonlinear) exists between an
>animals lifespan and its metabolism? It seems very obvious to me that
>animals with a higher metabolic rate will on the average live shorter. But
>I'd like some more information about this relationship. In the end it will
>be the careful distribution of energy resources (to feeding, reproduction
>and maintenance, etc.) that will determine how long an animal will live. Can
>anyone also tell me something about the molecular mechanisms involved.

You should grab "why We Age" by Gene Austad.  His research shows that
birds and animals that suffer very little predation live longer than you'd
expect from their metabolism.  He compared island oposums that were safe
from predators to mainland opossums.  The animals that suffer lots of
predation tend to reproduce early while they can and not waste resouces on
repair.

  Would you spend a lot of money on car repair if you knew your car would
be totaled next week.

                                             Kate