Biochemical Cause of Body Ageing

Rodney Reid rreid at earth.execpc.com
Tue Dec 2 22:11:56 EST 1997

Phil,

	Werner's Syndrome seems to be very close to a human model of
accellerated aging.    The biochemical reason has just been
discovered, and older reports suggest enhanced synthesis/buildup of sulfated
glycosaminoglycan, which may damage DNA, affect replication, etc.

	Down's Syndrome also seems to have many of the same
characteristics of W.S.  In fact some (Bernstein 1991) say more.

	Should we be looking at treatments for W.S./D.S. to work in
normal aging too?

		...Rodney

PS:  Here are links to a couple recent abstracts on Werner I found
interesting:

Nat Genet 1997 Sep;17(1):100-103
The Werner syndrome protein is a DNA helicase.
Authors: Gray MD, Shen JC, Kamath-Loeb AS, Blank A, Sopher BL, Martin GM,
Oshima J, Loeb LA
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9288107&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b
(discovery of the defective protein which causes Werner's)

Mech Ageing Dev 1997 Dec;98(3):239-254
Hierarchical deterioration of body systems in Werner's syndrome:
implications for normal ageing.
Goto M
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/htbin-post/Entrez/query?uid=9352493&form=6&db=m&Dopt=b

Oncogene 1997 Oct 16;15(16):1911-1920
Abnormal telomere dynamics of B-lymphoblastoid cell strains from Werner's
syndrome patients transformed by Epstein-Barr virus.
Authors: Tahara H, Tokutake Y, Maeda S, Kataoka H, Watanabe T, Satoh M,
Matsumoto T, Sugawara M, Ide T, Goto M, Furuichi Y, Sugimoto M
(says decreased immortalization happens to W.S. B-lymph cells, and
descreased telomerase activity from EBV)

Am J Chin Med 1992;20(3-4):295-305
The effect of Ninjinyoeito on Werner's syndrome skin fibroblasts.
Authors: Uchiyama Y, Nakajima S, Ohno T, Goto M, Kan M, Haruki E
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/Entrez/referer?/htbin-post/Entrez/query%3fdb=m&form=6&uid=1471614&Dopt=r
(I found this interesting, along with another report that says it
[Werners] been around Japan in at least two forms for +1400 years)

Phil Chapman (P.J.Chapman at durham.ac.uk) wrote:
: You might also want to find some information on Werner Syndrome which
: looks like the best bet for a potential model at the moment.

: What are other people's views on the validity of Werner Syndrome as a
: model for ageing?

: Phil Chapman