Where are the perfect repair systems?

Hang-Jun Chang iam at chollian.dacom.co.kr
Tue Feb 11 09:07:20 EST 1997

William Bains wrote:

> In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.970201211028.1421B-100000 at fas.harvard.edu>,
> Jurgen Kaljuvee <kaljuvee at husc.harvard.edu> wrote:
>

> Is this right? Aging is due to somatic errors - errors in the
> non-germ-cell tissues. Mutation is caused by changes in the germ cells. We
> could imagine an organism with perfect repair (including DNA repair) in
> the soma an organism could attain immortality, and still have a mutation
> system that applied to the germ cells, analagous to the directed mutation
> mechanism that generates variation in immunoglobulin gene variable
> regions.
>
> In reality, of course, 'perfect' repair requires an unlimited energy
> supply, and it is this trade-off between using energy for reproduction and
> for repair that means it is evolutionarily advantageous to age.
>
> --
> William Bains

Thank you William for your clear explanations.
Disposable soma theory always sounds reasonable and plausible to me.
But Inevitable questions arise from my curiosity as follows;

1. Would you like to let me know any experimental model to support or
prove it?

2. If aging process arises from limited supply of energy or any life
maintenance resource due to reproductive demant for it, What is energy
or the life maintenance resource needed to maintain the Soma at all?
If we find it out, isn't it possible for us to replace it in order to
achieve immortality?

I am very interested in the relationship between aging process and
reproduction. Now calorie restriction is known as the only
scientifically proved aging retardation method. If 'Disposable Soma'
theory is correct, Why don't 'sexual or reproductive restraint' have
any effect on life span? I don't know any scientific evident about it
yet. If you know any articles on it, please let me know them.

Hangjun Chang