Antigeria

Don Ashley dashley at TENET.EDU
Sun Feb 16 16:02:36 EST 1997

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997, Dawn wrote:

> Ah, so it is a non-existent condition?  Just wondering, as I'm in that
> field and have never actually heard about ANTIGERIA

I did not say it was non-existent.  That can not be proved or disproved.
It just hasn't been reported to the general media yet.

With billions of dollars at stake, why would someone give it away?  There
are several good reasons to keep the lid on something like the anti-geron.
("Trouble With Lichen" - a fictional account of such a discovery).

Getting 'close' to discovering (developing) a technique to stop the aging
process is good enough to announce to the media.  Funding, fame and support
would result.

'Close' is not the same thing as 'there', however, and any laboratory,
corporation, university, or individual who breaks through 'close' and
actually gets 'there' will want more than fame.  There's world power at
stake, among other ramifications.

If you could extend an organism's life expectancy from 20 days to 2
years, would you go public with it?

Going from 20 days to 30 or 40 days would get publicity and an extension
of current funding.

Going from 20 days to 2 years would bring problems we may not be prepared
to face.

Would you publish success in alchemy?

e-mail lists for the last 3 years and see how many people were publishing
their 'close' findings and then all of a sudden, you never hear from them
or read about their new progress.

How much of their early contributions was purged?

Don