implications of dolly

"mjfasmb,mjfasmb at" at "mjfasmb,mjfasmb at" at
Tue Mar 18 12:13:34 EST 1997

> Date:          Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:24:41 GMT
Re: implications of dolly

Surely patterns of transcription can be stably maintained without
having to invoke some change in the methylation state of the DNA ?
Such patterns might, given the right environmental cues, alter to
assume a new expression-pattern (attractor ?), during progression
from embryo to adult,  but needn't be the product of physically altering
the DNA.  Resetting to some basal / default expression pattern either
through mating or electric shock (I seem to remember that's what the
Rosalin people did) would then suffice to produce a viable clone...