evolution and aging

Dawn DawnC at bigfoot.com
Sat Mar 29 10:19:56 EST 1997

Jan Coetzee wrote:
> Has it occurred to anyone that aging may be the consequences of "evolution"
> taking place in the body. For example take hair follicles. Assume that
> every one are born with two kinds of follicles. Normal and gray pigmented.
> With time subtle changes in the bodies chemistry cause the gray pigment
> follicles to dominate.  Finally you end up with gray hair. If this is true
> for most cells in the body this idea could explain aging.
> Jan(John)

While many people have proposed an evolutionary significace to aging
(may be an anti-cancer mechanism, etc.), THAT is not why we get grey
hair (i.e., we are not born with two kinds of hair follicles and one
begins to dominate.)
Time is the best teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all of its students.
     Visit: http://members.aol.com/CappSci
     Animal Lovers check out http://members.tripod.com/~DawnC