Anti-ageing effects of kinetin

Rodney Reid rreid at earth.execpc.com
Fri May 16 23:21:20 EST 1997

Don,
	(I crossposted this to sci.life-extension also)

	Maybe it means that they're just less fertile, or (my hypothesis)
that the anti-aging effects of kinetin are really part of a larger scheme
of things that goes like this:

	Spring comes to town.   Plants everywhere, being in their growing
season, produce kinetin in adundance.

	Animals everywhere, being hungry, eat the growing kinetin-rich
plants.	   Ooops!!!   Guess maximum reproduction year round isn't in
the cards for them.   The kinetin keeps them around longer (relative to
the other seasons) although....

	The annual growing cycle continues on, and Summer and Fall come.
Kinetin production in plants decreases, animals everywhere eating the
now kinetin (free? lessened?) plants experience a surge in fertility -
Mating season comes along.

	Winter comes (burrrrrr!!!) and everything dies, moves, or goes
into hibernation.   Of course, every living thing is waiting for the next
spring, when many of them have babies and the whole cycle starts all over
again.

	Of course this hypothesis rests on kinetin really being a seasonal
plant hormone (or mostly seasonal for the bulk of plant matter eaten - I
guess a young tree might produce more % kinetin than a mature tree in the
same growing season) AND that most animals are affected by the
reproductive dampening effects of kinetin.

	Which brings me to a another question/test:  Carnivores and
Omnivores should have a more varied mating/birthing season than pure
herbivores, being that they would be less dependant on kinetin regulating
things.... I dunno if they do or not though.

Here is a pointer to NCBI's pubmed:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/Entrez

...go to the basic search and enter "kinetin & human & plant" for a couple
abstracts about it (some by the originator of this thread).   A search at
http://www.dejanews.com for "kinetin" in their old databse pulled up a few
articles too.

	...Rodney