Statistics and Mother Nature

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Fri Sep 26 02:48:34 EST 1997

Rodney Reid wrote:

>         From the journal Nature this week comes a study that shows how
> differences in the age of the parents influences the gender of their
> firstborn.
>
>         The study consisted of a group of 301 british families, in which
> the researchers found if men married women at least five years younger
> then them, the chance of them having a firstborn son instead of a
> firstborn daughter is 2-1.    The same is reversed for the older woman,
> younger man scenario, with firstborn daughters occurring 2-1.

>         Maybe it's just me, but I see a correlation, and a reason
> (method?) as to why the two are related:  the older parent can possibly
> pass on age related mutations to their offspring of the opposite sex,
> which is why it's (statistically) decided against.

I agree that its very interesting, Rodney, but I don't understand the
logic of your correlation.
But why don't they pass these same mutations to their same sex
offspring?
I believe I have read that the sperm of older men produce less viable
embryos.

--Tom
Tom Matthews

All personal comments do not represent the views of anyone from:
The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-841-5433
A non-profit membership organization dedicated to the extension of the
healthy human lifespan through ground breaking research, innovative
ideas and practical methods.