Free fatty acids

Ralph L. Samson 73071.20 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Apr 2 07:52:26 EST 1998

Ageing bionet readers,
       I have read some articles and postings on CLA (Conjugated Linoleic
Acid) but mostly found them a little confusing.  Just recently, I did
a search with "altavista" using +"free fatty acid".  To my surprise, a
number of results on CLA came up.  I had never thought of CLA as a free
fatty acid.  If the capsules of CLA that are sold contain free CLA (not
tied to glycerol in glycerides) that would explain some of the benefits
that have been found.  I have been using capsules of Stearic Acid NF
Powder, which is a mix of mostly free stearic acid (C18) and free
palmitic acid (C16) to stimulate the liver to produce IGF-1 which in
turn produces fat loss.  Free CLA should work just as well, but is
considerably more expensive.  My 400 mg capsule costs about eight
cents, three and a half cents for the powder and four and a half
cents for the empty gelcap.  Capsules with 500 mg of CLA cost around
fifty cents each.  If some manufacturer would package the Stearic
Acid NF powder in capsules, the cost would probably drop to five
cents or less.
       Perhaps some time in the future, it will be available.
Regards, Ralph L. Samson