IGF-1 a fat scavenger

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Mon Apr 27 17:13:52 EST 1998

Ralph L. Samson wrote:

> Dear ageing bionet readers,
>        In the continuing saga on IGF-1, I now realize that it acts like
> a scavenger of fat as it courses through the blood.  While there are
> morale benefits in losing external, cosmetic fat, the greatest benefit
> is in loss of internal fat.  In my case, after three months, my nasal
> and sinus passages stayed clear all the time and my sleep apnea just
> disappeared.  This was due to loss of fat in the tissue lining the
> passages and the mouth.

>  After five months, the external fat by my
> stomach was gone.  Note that the internal fat was lost earlier.  I
> think this is due to there being less of it.

This is what happened to me after increasing my dose of DHEA from 3 X 15
mg time release to 6 X 15 mg DHEA plus 3 X 10 mg pregnenolone. DHEA also
increases IGF-1 and has many additional possible benefits if
supplemented to replacement to youthful levels. What advantage is there
to taking stearic acid to effect IGF-1 increase?

> After about eight
> months, I tried stopping taking the stearic acid capsules.  After
> 10 days, my nose started to clog up.  I went back on stearic acid,
> and my nose was again clear in about three weeks.  Just recently,
> I went off the stearic acid for about two weeks without any
> noticeable effect.  I think this is due to atrophy of unused fat
> storage cells which aren't then available to block the nose.

Where does one procure stearic acid? Is it generally available from the
health food/supplement market?

>        The recently released results of a Harvard study linked
> asthma and obesity.  I think this is another candidate for
> benefitting from IGF-1.  IGF-1 will produce loss of fat in the
> tissue lining the bronchial tubes and the mouth, widening the
> passages, and making them less likely to block.

I have never hade any nasal, allergy or asthmatic problems. My ex-wife
did and my daugther developed adult onset asthma, but she has always
been quite thin.

>        All this makes me wonder if IGF-1 would also scavenge
> the plaque in the blood vessels.

I believe there is some evidence of athersclerotic benefit for DHEA, so
this would be a reasonable possibility.

Ralph, I suggest that you would obtain much more feedback and discussion
on these ideas if you would also cross-post to the wider audience of
sci.life-extension and sci.med.nutrition I have taken the liberty of
adding these to this reply.

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-841-5433