Telomeric Theory of Aging

Excelife excelife at
Fri Aug 21 23:59:29 EST 1998

In article <1998Aug20.123428.29969 at>, bae at
>In article <6rh6dv$qug$1 at>,
>Jennifer Ann Petersen <jennifer at> wrote:
>>Beverly Erlebacher wrote in message
>><1998Aug19.135543.14736 at>...
>>>Note that the telomerase knock-out mice had normal life spans for *six*
>>>*generations* of steadily decreasing telomere length.  THe only apparent
>>>effect was that the sixth generation was sterile.
>>What did the mice die from?
>I don't remember if the paper said, but the important point is that the
>life span was no different from that of the mouse strain that the knock-out
>line originated from.  I don't know what lab mice normally die of.  Boredom?

This paper gives some insight into cause of death in mice, Nippon Eiseigaku
Zasshi 1996 Jul;51(2):569-578 "[Senescence-accelerated mouse (SAM): with
special reference to
age-associated pathologies and their modulation]".

Actually mus musculus and some other mice have an alternative mechanism for
regulating telomeric length, (Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 1998 Jul
21;95(15):8648-8653 "Telomere length regulation in mice is linked to a novel
chromosome locus.")

No valid conclusions regarding telomeric shortening and life span can be
drawn from this study.  Other studies determining the effects of the gene(s)
from chromosome 2 and their interaction with both telomerase and the
telomeres need to be conducted to help sort out how telomeric length is

Thomas Mahoney, Pres.
Lifeline Laboratories, Inc.