Life Extension Strategy [was Re: PBN

ufotruth at ix.netcom.com ufotruth at ix.netcom.com
Tue Dec 8 22:38:17 EST 1998

>Alas, you are probably right. My guesstimate is that we'll see
>some widely available biohacks possibly within ten years, but
>they'll only slow aging a little, or deal with a few of its
>consequences (damaged tissue in arteries, the hippocampus, maybe,
>etc.). But it probably will take a lot longer for an actual cure.

If a way to deliver the telomerase gene to every cell in the human
body, or at least the vast majority of them, is discovered then we
might have a "biohack" that could probably actually REVERSE
at least a good part of the aging process.

Of course if telomerase therapy caused an increase rate of cancer,
then that would be a major problem. But perhaps by then, there will be
better ways to cure cancer so that the benefits of being rejuvinated
would out weigh the harm from possibly getting cancer.

But you know, if ALT-711 (Alteon's AGE/Crosslink breaker) gets
approved in the next few years, we might have a drug that could
reverse at least some aspects of the aging process in which AGEs and
Crosslinks are involved, help us live healthier lives, and perhaps
increase the human life span by a decade or so.

>So an optimistic (but I hope not overly so) scenario for someone
>your age, Tom, would be: make it to 70, which you will almost
>certainly do given your current life style, at which point
>there'll be some life-extension regimens around to make it very
>likely that you'll make it to 75 or 80, at which point there'll
>be some life-extension regimens around....(etc.).

With Tom's very healthy life style and good health he will most
probably at LEAST make it to 75 or 80 years without any new
life-extension regimens. But in the next couple years, if ALT-711 is
approved by the FDA, that drug could help him make it to AT LEAST
90-100 years. By then, there will probably be safe and effective
telomerase enlongation therapies, safe and effective STEM CELL
transplants, mitochondrial repair therapies, even better AGE and
crosslink breakers, and all kinds of therapies to help him live to for
a few thousand more years, at least.

>But if you're 65 or 70 or older (or younger and not healthy),
>it'll be a closer call.

That is true. My grandmother is in her middle 70's and I really hope
that ALT-711 is approved soon so it can help her live longer.

>On the other hand, in light of cloning breakthroughs, and the
>recent stem cell findings, maybe that scenario is not nearly
>optimistic ENOUGH. I'm guessing there are already wealthy people

Well, none of us know exactly what anti-aging therapies will be
discovered, when they will be developed, and how theraputic they will
eventually be. All we can do is guess. Your guess is just as good as
mine or anyone elses. The only two factors that you have left out,
that I would have included, is ALT-711, and perhaps a closer date for
an effective telomerase enlongation therapy.