Life Extension Strategy [was Re: PBN

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Tue Dec 8 20:45:35 EST 1998

Brian Manning Delaney wrote:

> Tom Matthews wrote:
> > Brian Manning Delaney wrote:
>
> >> My approach to anti-aging is: deal with Calorie
> >> restriction for 5-10 (maybe more)  years, and,
> >> in the meantime, invest in Geron (and the others,
> >> including Lifeline  Laboratories, of course!),
> >> and wait for the biohacks.
>
> > Which is a good strategy (probably the best if
> > you can handle it) if you are under 40. But if
> > you are over 60, it may not be sufficient. I
> > think it will take the "biohacks" a lot more
> > than 10 years to perfect and make available a
> > general aging deterioration cure.
>
> Alas, you are probably right. My guesstimate is that we'll see
> some widely available biohacks possibly within ten years, but
> they'll only slow aging a little, or deal with a few of its
> consequences (damaged tissue in arteries, the hippocampus, maybe,
> etc.).

Yes, and that is why I hate to see things like GH replacement, billed as
"growing younger".
Currently, rejuvenation is only possible moderately and temporarily with
respect to a very few parameters, and slowing deterioration is possible
with a few more, but we are nowhere near anything which will rejuvenate
all deteriorated human attributes or even slow their rate of
deterioration, altough perhaps calorie restriction and possibly some
other things yet to be shown, can come close to the latter.

> But it probably will take a lot longer for an actual cure.

For sure. It is a very complex problem.

> So an optimistic (but I hope not overly so) scenario for someone
> your age, Tom, would be: make it to 70, which you will almost
> certainly do given your current life style,

Personally, I am lucky (good genes) in that it is virtually certain that
I will still be in excellent shape at 80.

> at which point
> there'll be some life-extension regimens around to make it very
> likely that you'll make it to 75 or 80, at which point there'll
> be some life-extension regimens around....(etc.).

Yes, this step-wise approach is exactly why I have become convinced that
I do have a chance (to not need cryonics :-)

> But if you're 65 or 70 or older (or younger and not healthy),

Or have a bad genetic inheritance re longevity.

> it'll be a closer call.

Yup. Any such life-extensionist should really look to cryonics, for some
hope at least.
Whatever damage current freezing practice does it preserves much more
than burning or burying.
Whether it preserves enough information to reconstruct your "mind" or
not we will not know for many decades or hundreds of years. However, if
you can last long enough, you can be sure that the then current freezing
methods will be much less damaging - maybe even non-damaging.

> On the other hand, in light of cloning breakthroughs, and the
> recent stem cell findings, maybe that scenario is not nearly
> optimistic ENOUGH. I'm guessing there are already wealthy people
> setting up cloning or stem cell labs in Mexico, their basements,
> etc. All they'd have to do is either get human cloning to work
> (easy, most likely), not mind abortions[1]; or learn how to
> direct stem cell growth towards particular tissues, to take the
> two most obvious approaches.

Exactly how do you figure this is going to allow your "mind" to carry on
into the future?

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-544-4440