Increasing Diabetes

James Howard jmhoward at sprynet.com
Mon Jun 15 15:46:43 EST 1998

This is my explanation of increasing diabetes and obesity from November,
1997.  It still applies.

Current Evolution: Reason for Increased Diabetes and Obesity

James Howard

November 1, 1997 "ATLANTA (AP) -- A fatter, less active and older America
has helped push diabetes to its highest levels yet in the United States. As
of 1997, about 10 million people have been diagnosed with diabetes, the
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said Thursday. Nearly 6 million
more people have the disease and don't know it. The figures represent a
sixfold increase from 1.6 million in 1958."

Now, it has been determined that diabetes is increasing in this country.
That is, type II, or diabetes of old age, is increasing. It was also
reported, some time ago, that obesity is increasing in this country. A lot
of the time diabetes is said to be caused by obesity. My work suggests that
the increase in obesity and the increase in diabetes result from a common
cause. Furthermore, I suggest the cause is triggered by a change in the
population that represents a current sign of human evolution. I think the
increases in diabetes and obesity result from an increase in testosterone in
our population. (One may read my theory of human evolution at
http://www.naples.net/~nfn03605 on the web.)

DHEA is known to be low in obesity. "For instance, one of the predominant
features associated with a DHEA deficiency is obesity." (J Nutrition 1987;
117: 1287). DHEA reduces the effects of diabetes. "DHEA improved insulin
sensitivity and reduced fasting and oral glucose tolerance test glucose
levels and ameliorated the diabetic state." (Am J Med Sci 1993; 306: 320).
The generally prescribed treatment of obesity is reduction of dietary fat
and exercise. The nutrition journal, just cited, also says that DHEA reduces
"storage of dietary energy as fat." Exercise increases DHEA. This means that
DHEA is involved in the metabolism of fat; if one reduces fat intake and
exercises, more DHEA is available to ameliorate diabetic conditions. So,
when one is obese and begins to exercise and reduce fats, then associated
diabetic conditions improve. Reduced DHEA is the common factor in obesity
and diabetes.

My theory of human evolution is based on an increase in testosterone. That
is, our evolution is the reason that testosterone levels are higher in male
and female humans, compared to male and female chimpanzees, respectively.
Whenever, a situation exists where food is readily available, testosterone
will rise rapidly. (Food is not the cause, it merely stimulates
reproduction.) The is called "feed and breed." People who are higher in
testosterone exhibit higher levels of aggression, aggressive impulse, and
sexuality. In other words, people of higher testosterone will make more
babies than those of lower testosterone. Over time, the population will
increase in percentage of higher testosterone types, and, so will the
consequences of increased testosterone. Two of the consequences of this are
increased obesity and diabetes.

The body produces a lot of DHEA, however, it is in form of DHEA sulfate
(DHEAS), the most abundant steroid hormone of the body. The body makes DHEA
from DHEAS with the use of sulfotransferases in the liver. One of the most
potent inhibitors of liver sulfotransferase is testosterone (Eur J Pharmacol
1992; 228: 15). I suggest that testosterone is increasing in this country
and is the reason for the "secular trend." The secular trend is the increase
in size and weight of our children from generation to generation, but it is
most noticeable as the earlier onset of puberty. Puberty continues to occur
earlier with each generation. I suggest that obesity and diabetes are
increasing in this country, because testosterone is increasing. As we age,
starting around age 20 to thirty, DHEAS production begins to decline, and
DHEAS levels reach very low levels in old age. The increased testosterone of
younger ages may account for the increased obesity of our children and young
adults, and trigger the onset of type II diabetes as we age. The common
cause is loss of available DHEA due to increasing testosterone.

Note: Added June 15, 1998, blacks have more problems with diabetes and
obesity.  Blacks produce much more testosterone than whites.