What is the cause of insulin resistance in the elderly?

Hang-Jun Jang iam at chollian.net
Mon Mar 9 08:53:21 EST 1998

          Dear colleagues who fight againt aging process, the last enemy
we have to conquer.

          Many evidences show that calorie restricted rodonts have lower
plasma glucose and insulin concentrations than ad libitum fed rats do,
while glucose utilization rate is the same in both groups. Theses facts
suggest that calorie restriction improves insulin sensitivity which
tends to be impaired with advancing age. I believe that increased
insulin resistance plays importance role in mammalian aging process. If
we cut down on it, we might be able to retard aging process. Insulin
resistance syndrome, also known as 'Syndrome X' includes atherosclosis,
dyslipidemia, hypertension, and various other age related diseases. If
so, inevitable questions arise as follows:

        Why insulin resistance occurs as organisms age?, what mechanism
causes it? and how calorie restriction can retard it?

        Is there anyone who is kind enough to explainit to me?  Any
comments would be helpful!

          We pay high price for our growth and survival. Aging is the
very price we have to pay for them. Life holds death, Death holds life.
But we hope to maintain our youth as long as possible. Every organism
might be evolving to achieve eternal youth.  what species is  the first
winner then? It's probably mankind. Do you think so too?  :)

Best regards
Hang-Jun Jang