What is the cause of insulin resistance in the elderly?

lgk lgk at the.connection.com
Tue Mar 10 03:33:28 EST 1998

Hang-Jun Jang wrote:

>           Dear colleagues who fight againt aging process, the last enemy
> we have to conquer.
>
>           Many evidences show that calorie restricted rodonts have lower
> plasma glucose and insulin concentrations than ad libitum fed rats do,
> while glucose utilization rate is the same in both groups. Theses facts
> suggest that calorie restriction improves insulin sensitivity which
> tends to be impaired with advancing age. I believe that increased
> insulin resistance plays importance role in mammalian aging process. If
> we cut down on it, we might be able to retard aging process. Insulin
> resistance syndrome, also known as 'Syndrome X' includes atherosclosis,
> dyslipidemia, hypertension, and various other age related diseases. If
> so, inevitable questions arise as follows:
>
>         Why insulin resistance occurs as organisms age?, what mechanism
> causes it? and how calorie restriction can retard it?
>
>         Is there anyone who is kind enough to explainit to me?  Any
> comments would be helpful!
>
>           We pay high price for our growth and survival. Aging is the
> very price we have to pay for them. Life holds death, Death holds life.
> But we hope to maintain our youth as long as possible. Every organism
> might be evolving to achieve eternal youth.  what species is  the first
> winner then? It's probably mankind. Do you think so too?  :)
>
> Best regards
> Hang-Jun Jang

	Hang-Jun

		This is not my area of interest, or familiarity. You seem to know more
about it already than I do. However, amid the piles of material on
ageing I have laying around here is a section of the book 'Genetics and
Evolution of Ageing' (Eds: Michael Rose & Caleb Finch, Kluwer Academic
Publishers, 1994), entitled 'Genetic influences on glucose
neurotoxicity, ageing, and diabetes: a possible role for glucose
hysteresis', by C.V.Mobbs (pp270-285). It discusses    neurohumoral
hysteresis, "the phenomenon by which cumulative exposure to normal
levels of blood-borne substances during ageing is thought to gradually
impair neurons which regulate those substances." It includes discussion
of insulin resistance with age. The reference section of this chapter,
the name Mobbs, or the subject hysteresis might be useful places to
search for what you are looking for. Best of luck.

					Lennox Kelly