What is the cause of insulin resistance in the elderly?

Hang-Jun Jang iam at chollian.net
Sun Mar 15 13:24:04 EST 1998

Tom Matthews wrote:

> Hang-Jun Jang wrote:
>
> > If the cause of
> > aging exits, it must be a everyday one like plasma glucose. We might not find the cause
> > because it's so close to us.
>
> Your mistake in reasoning here, is that it is quite clear now that there
> are many independent causes of aging.

Thanks for pointing my mistake. You're right. I should've written " If the causes of aging
exit, they must be everyday ones like plasma glucose.

> Furthermore, most of the things that we currently now call causes (such as plasma glucose
> glycation
> products) are derivatives more fundamentally caused by something else.

This viewpoint is also right, but in the case of advanced glycation end products, the cause
is apparently plasma glucose. Insulin resistance augments the bad effects of AGE products.

> It is highly unlikely that any of the fundamental causes of aging are
> "everyday ones".

This opinion can be true and can be false. Fundamental causes sound like mechanisms of
diseses' process or pathogenesis. The meanings of causes or etiologies are different from
those of mechanisms or pathogenesis. I mean a cause is  a  'TRIGGERING' factor. I sometimes
think over the relation between genes and environments. Genes determin some predispositions
to a certain disease. Most of doctors agree that many causes of diseases are environment
factors arised from life style. Eating is a very important component of life style. Everyday
ones are things we have to do everyday to survive. We have to pay more attention to the
effect of calorie restriction on longevity. Every mouse eats food that is 'everyday one' and
if some parameters of everyday ones, such as amount of food, are modified, their longevity is
significantly changed. It is,therefore, likely that everyday ones can be very importan or
fundamental causes of aging process.

Best wishes
Hang-Jun Jang.