mathematic model for aging

Rodney Reid rreid at
Thu Mar 19 13:53:47 EST 1998

	Take a look at "The Evolutionary Biology of Aging" by Michael Rose
(there are two editions, one 1991, second edition 1994).

	Aging happens as a byproduct of energy consumption - no creatures
(unless you consider prions and viruses to be alive) can exist without
dealing with energy, and all have incomplete mechanisms to deal with the
damage that happens with the usage of this energy (be it calories, heat,
light, etc.)

	Evolution, or rather, evolved adaptation to a changing
environment, is very very slow in long lived creatures (ex: you and me),
but really quick in short lived creatures (antibiotic resistant bacteria,
for instance).

amory (hazel at wrote:
: x-no-archive: yes

: i am interested in learning if there are any mathematical models or
: theories that help explain the aging process.  specifically, does choas
: theory offer any insights into aging?  my line of thinking is that chaos
: theory explains very complicated systems with all sorts of variables, which
: is what a human or any other relatively advanced animal is.  does
: mathematics hold the key for discovering how to manipulate immensely
: complex systems, or if it is even possible?  i am a novice so please
: forgive any stupid questions.

: amory