What is the cause of insulin resistance in the elderly?

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Mar 21 12:16:29 EST 1998

Hang-Jun Jang wrote:

> As far as I know, early glycosylation products are reversible, but if once
> formed, advanced glycosylation end products(AGEs) are not reversible
> You said we currently have mechanisms for removing/repairing/undoing
> glycation. Could you let me know them?

I don't know whether this is what Tom was referring to, but there was an
articly in Nature two years ago reporting this in rats:

  Nature 1996 Jul 18;382(6588):275-278
  An agent cleaving glucose-derived protein crosslinks in vitro and in vivo.
  Vasan S, Zhang X, Zhang X, Kapurniotu A, Bernhagen J, Teichberg S, Basgen J,
  Wagle D, Shih D, Terlecky I, Bucala R, Cerami A, Egan J, Ulrich P

The only followup article I have come across (which I haven't read) is:

  Diabetologia 1997 Jul;40 Suppl 2:S157-S159
  Pharmacological reversal of advanced glycation end-product-mediated protein
  crosslinking.
  Ulrich P, Zhang X

Aubrey de Grey