CR and rate of maturation

Brian Rowley browley at GALAXY.UCR.EDU
Thu Oct 1 09:54:30 EST 1998

>Brian Rowley wrote:
>
>> Stop right there! Walford, Weindruch, Spindler and everyone else
who
>> does CR experiments use special, long-lived hybrid mice for CR
>> experiments. These mice are unusually resistant to the diseases of
>> aging and live a long, long time for mice.
>
>Yes, but I'm not sure that that completely rebuts the challenge,
since
>these mice may still have been quite substantially selected for fast
>maturation and short lifespan, just less so than typical lab strains.
>Do these mice live close to the maximum lifespan potential of wild
Mus
>musculus?  How accurately is the MLSP of wild Mus musculus known?
I'm
>not as familiar as I should be with this literature.

I don't know what the lifespan of wild Mus musculus is. However, it's
the sort of thing Alex Comfort has published in his books on aging.

It seems most unlikely that wild Mus musculus would have a longer
maximal lifespan than Walford's long-lived hybrids. There are fierce
selective pressures in the wild for early reproduction. Rapid
senescence almost invariably goes along with early reproduction (Jay
Olshansky and Robin Holliday are references). Since the rate of
attrition is high in the wild, there is little evolutionary pressure
for longevity. Therefore I see no reason why wild Mus musculus would
live as long as Walford's carefully selected, longevous hybrids.
Regards,

Brian Rowley