Blood pressure test

Ralph L. Samson 73071.20 at COMPUSERVE.COM
Thu Oct 15 06:58:31 EST 1998

Ageing readers,
       In trying to get a better idea about "white-coat effect" when doctors
measure blood pressure and why their tests are usually higher than home
tests, I did some searching on the net.  I came across an article "Procedure
for a Single Blood Pressure Measurement at:
"http://aorta.library.mun.ca/bp/guide.htm".  Reading this article strongly
suggests that if doctors followed this procedure they would get lower
BP readings, more consistent with home readings, and thus would be less
likely to prescribe "dangerous" drugs with their side effects.  Perhaps
some of you might try to get tests done with the usual "doctor's procedure"
and then following this procedure and see if the results differ.
Regards, Ralph L. Samson