Re-Visiting a Post by Lou Pagnucco

Magnus Lynch mdl24 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Oct 23 17:18:17 EST 1998

> That seems a lot harder to me than you seem to think.  That would
> mean that you need to come up with a toxin that is activated by
> the enzymatic activities of one of these enzymes.  I think that's
> a pretty difficult task.

One approach might be somatic cell gene therapy. For example, the gene for
p53 could be inserted with a strong b-galactosidase promotor region using a
suitable vector - a similar approach to that taken in gene therapy for
cystic fibrosis. This would probably be more practical for readily accesible
cells such as those of the dermis, but as the technology of gene therapy
advances it could become practical for other cell types in the body.

Magnus Lynch