Re-Visiting a Post by Lou Pagnucco

Excelife excelife at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 22 23:56:45 EST 1998

Senescent cells appear to accumulate in tissues with age. Furthermore at
least some of these cells, like fibroblasts, can be identified by their
profile of enzymatic activity and stained so that they are clearly visible
under the microscope.

( See the description of Judith Capisi's work at the
URL:http://www.lbl.gov/LBL-Publications/Currents/Archive/Oct-6-1995.html#RTFT
oC2)

Now, senescent fibroblast produce many times the amount of collagenases
- possibly the most important family of enzymes responsible for the
degradation of the extracellular matrix.  Are these senescent fibroblasts
responsible for some of the features of aging like lax skin, overly permeable
capillaries, breakdown of the blood-brain-barrier, some arthritic conditions,
etc.?

If so, since they can be identified by staining, can they also be targeted
by smart drugs which have special affinity for these cells and selectively
toxic to them?  directly toxic, phototoxic, or apotosis inducing ?

--
Regards,
L. Pagnucco

Lou,

I'm reposting a post of yours from a while back.  At that time I indicated
that I didn't think this approach would be beneficial since the remaining
cells would reproduce and just generate more senescent cells.

After reviewing the research of Dr. Effros at U.C.L.A. in regards to
immunosenescence it appears that the strategy you suggested may be of some
benefit.