Re-Visiting a Post by Lou Pagnucco

James james at nospam.com
Fri Oct 23 11:42:00 EST 1998

> It seems relatively feasible to use either the increased production of
> collagenase or that of beta-galactosidase for this purpose.

That seems a lot harder to me than you seem to think.  That would
mean that you need to come up with a toxin that is activated by
the enzymatic activities of one of these enzymes.  I think that's
a pretty difficult task.  It would be a lot easier (and I think
the much more standard way to go about this task) to create an
immunotoxin to a cell surface feature that only senescent cells
have (or that they have a lot more of).  I would guess that there
are a lot of proteins existing in an oxidized or glycosylated
form on senescent cells that could be exploited.  Senescent cells
also have more ryanodine receptors.