Re-Visiting a Post by Lou Pagnucco

James james at nospam.com
Fri Oct 23 19:07:34 EST 1998

Aubrey de Grey wrote:

> James wrote:
>
> > But I don't think lax skin has much to do with collagen
> > crosslinking (other than some decreased elasticity).  I think
> > loss of subcutaneous fat is the culprit
>
> I don't quite understand this.  Loss of subcutaneous fat will cause
> lax skin only if the skin can't contract to take up the slack; the
> decreased elasticity is what removes this capability, no?  So they
> are both culprits, but reversal of either would be a remedy.

Even young skin isn't going to be perfectly elastic - it's going
to depend on how much fat is lost.  Also, perhaps other
parameters of the fibroblasts that change with age (and have
nothing to do with collagen) play a role as well.  I would be
very suprised if collagen was the sole modulator of elasticity.

Incidentally, loss of subcutaneous fat does other bad things,
such as increasing fragility of the skin and reducing protection
to blood vessels.