Current Research Into Telomeres III

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Sat Sep 5 13:57:36 EST 1998

Brian Rowley wrote:

> >Starting from the strong
> >evidence that CR extends lifespan largely by reducing free radical
> >damage,
>
> There are other, equally viable hypotheses. For example, CR downregulates
> insulin-stimulated metabolic pathways

I absolutely agree -- I would certainly not be willing to omit the word
"largely" from my original sentence.  It's also been convincingly shown
that long-term CR doesn't diminish specific metabolic rate (eg McCarter,
Am J Physiol 1985; 248:E488-E490).  I don't personally put much store by
homologies with short-lived invertebrates, but the interaction between
glycation and oxidation is clear in atherogenesis, for example (Kawamura
et al, J Clin Invest 1994; 94:771-778), so one can even hypothesise that
CR reduces free radical damage largely by lowering blood glucose.  In a
sense it then becomes semantics whether the free radicals or the glucose
are doing the damage, of course.

Aubrey de Grey