Telomeric Theory - Those Damn Mice

bennett4490 at bennett4490 at
Mon Sep 7 11:51:18 EST 1998

In article <6svotb$obo$1 at>,
  excelife at (Excelife) wrote:

Well, it adds a little flesh to a phrase my lecturer said when explaining this
fact.  "Mice and Men are different"!  No we know a little more about just how
different.  Apparently murine cells are dead easy to immortalise in culture
(unlimited doublings) while only 10-15% of all human _tumours_ are capable of
the same, and all of them with altered telomerase dynamics (apologies for
repeating myself from a previous post).  My question is, how much do we know
about these new genes? Are they simply homologues of the telomerase components
or completely new enzymes?  From what I can gather from your post they seem to
have only linked the locus to a chromosome site, but what sequence data do we
have on that area?  Any candidates?

(Hmmm, more than one question really...)