Very odd abstract found. Any comments?

James james at nospam.com
Wed Sep 9 22:55:47 EST 1998

Thanks for the abstract - I don't search the literature as much as I
should.  Looks like he explains the apparent paradox pretty well.  It is
true that the variance in these types of studies is very high and the data
could have been skewed by unknown factors.  I would think that this data
should be better since he examines so many cell lines, and since he has
access to the data from this longitudinal study (which is one of only two
that I know about - no one ever had this type of data before).

Sounds to me like he repeated old experiments with what should be much
better data, and got different results.  That could surely happen, so I am
leaning towards believing it...  But I don't see how cells that are not
expressing telomerase are maintaining the replicative potential in vivo
(which is the conclusion I draw from the fact that their replicative
capacities do not differ significantly when grown in culture), and then
senescing uniformly in vitro.

Were I to follow this line of reasoning to it's logical conclusion the
answer I arrive at is that the senescence we see in fibroblasts in vitro is
an artifact of the culture conditions and that they really do not senesce in
vivo. But that's a little too off the beaten path for me to accept at the
moment.  Maybe it's just late...  Anyone else have any thoughts?