Telomeric Theory - Those Damn Mice

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Thu Sep 10 16:38:32 EST 1998

Excelife wrote:

> You are right, loss of telomeric length is not tumorigenic.  The bypassing of
> the senescent signal related to telomeric loss is more like a "disease"
> process.  It is encompassed by the telomeric theory, (see III. Research
> Findings To Date, B. Telomeres, Telomerase and Cancer), and methods to avoid
> the bypass of senescence are important for survival although not directly
> related to aging.

Tom, I hope that this paragraph does not presage a stance whereby the
"definition" of aging is loss of telomere length, and all other
degradative changes which occur over time and cause most deaths are now
"diseases". :-)

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-544-4440