Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of The

Brian Rowley browley at GALAXY.UCR.EDU
Thu Sep 17 15:28:48 EST 1998

Thomas Mahoney/ Excelife wrote:
>> While CR mice do live longer than mice whose diet is not restricted they
live
>> no longer than than other mice on CR.  Their life span has not been
increased
>> by CR only their life expectancy has been increased.

James replied:

>I really have no idea what this is supposed to
>mean.  I assume that it has something to do with an average versus maximum
age
>argument that you are trying to make.
>
>Regardless, I do not believe that you are correct.  Caloric restriction
has been
>shown to increase both average and maximal lifespan (see Yu et al. 1990,
Yu et
>al. 1982, Sohal R et al. 1996, Weindruch R, 1996, etc.)

I think Tom Mahoney was making the point that CR is an environmental, not
genetic treatment for aging.

I agree that CR extends both average and maximal life span/expectation.

Brian