Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of

CurtAdams curtadams at
Fri Sep 18 09:43:52 EST 1998

excelife at (Excelife) writes:

>Quite correct.  Mice in the wild undoubtedly encounter periods where food is
>scarce and the effects seen in CR are likely an adaptive response to these
>conditions.  Thus the actual life span of the mice is that seen in CR. It
>might make it clearer if we looked at those mice who are fed regularly as
>being overfed and dying earlier than their "normal" life span.

No; it's not that.  Increasingly aggressive CR continues to improve lifespan
up to just before starvation.  That can't be the "normal" diet as female
mice can't reproduce under such stringent CR.

Curt Adams (curtadams at
"It is better to be wrong than to be vague" - Freeman Dyson