Antiaging Research Priorities [was Re: Major Criticisms of

andrewmason at my-dejanews.com andrewmason at my-dejanews.com
Tue Sep 22 03:26:56 EST 1998

In article <3606977A.52D93633 at notarealaddr.ess>,
  Brian Manning Delaney <bmdelaney at notarealaddr.ess> wrote:

> > CR: possibly 50% greater lifespan, including a
> > proportionally longer period of old age, complete
> > with its problems of physical and mental impairment.
>
> No. If you look at rodents on CR, their ratio of "looking
> and acting young" time to time of decrepitude is much
> greater than controls'.

But is the actual period of decrepitude longer, shorter or the same as the
controls? If it not shorter then we are not gaining a lot, particularly if,
as has been suggested, the effectiveness of Calorie Restriction is reduced
when it is started later in life.

I do not doubt that CR works in lab animals up to primates, and may work in
humans, however I am skeptical about a therapy becoming available (in our
lifetimes anyway) that maintained acceptable quality of life.

Issues of possible therapies aside, how long will it take just to prove
conclusively that CR actually works in humans anyway? What is the strategy
for demonstrating that it works in a controlled experiment of acceptable
duration? And if a drug or therapy was proposed to mimic the effects of CR
without hunger or physical weakness, how long would it take to prove it was
effective?

Andrew