Telomeric Theory - Growth Factors

andrewmason at my-dejanews.com andrewmason at my-dejanews.com
Mon Sep 28 22:24:02 EST 1998

> >Except that at the present state of knowledge it is incorrect to
> >classify calorie restriction, which extends maximum lifespan in many
> >animals species, with anti-oxidants and "beneficial nutrients" which do
> >not.
>
> Interesting point but let me try and put this another way. Caloric
> Restriction, anti-oxidants, and beneficial nutrients can sooth some of
> the symptoms of aging, so that an organism can have a longer life
> span, but they do not eliminate any of the actual causes of aging.

Just some wild speculation here -

An opinion I have read is that increased lifespan under CR may be a way of an
organism making the "best of a bad lot" when conditions are so bad that it
would be unlikely that offspring would survive. Extending life until
conditions improved may be a strategy that has evolved that optimises
reproductive fitness under difficult conditions.

Is it possible that the mechanism for this is lengthening of telomeres under
CR, either via telomerase expression or the ALT pathway for lengthening
telomeres seen in mice. Has anyone ever tested for telomere length extension
in CR mice?

Given the heated discussions between proponents of CR and those supporting the
telomere theory of aging in this newsgroup, it would be ironic if such a
mechanism existed.

Andrew