CR and rate of maturation

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 29 11:12:24 EST 1998

Brian Rowley wrote:

> Stop right there! Walford, Weindruch, Spindler and everyone else who
> does CR experiments use special, long-lived hybrid mice for CR
> experiments. These mice are unusually resistant to the diseases of
> aging and live a long, long time for mice.

Yes, but I'm not sure that that completely rebuts the challenge, since
these mice may still have been quite substantially selected for fast
maturation and short lifespan, just less so than typical lab strains.
Do these mice live close to the maximum lifespan potential of wild Mus
musculus?  How accurately is the MLSP of wild Mus musculus known?  I'm
not as familiar as I should be with this literature.

I remember reading that progeny of wild-caught mice are hard to do CR
experiments on because of stress problems, but I was unable to find a
primary reference; I don't know how many generations it takes for this
effect to disappear.  I'd be grateful for good references on that, too.

Aubrey de Grey