Telomeric Theory - Growth Factors

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Mon Sep 28 19:54:40 EST 1998

Ryan J. Werstuik wrote:

> It would be interesting to see a study regarding the number of individuals
> who actually die earlier due to stress enhanced diseases because they were
> concerned about prolonging their life.
>
> Just a thought....

It is the kind of thought which detractors of life-extension goals often
raise. However, I think that it would be very hard to make any
correlation in theory or mortality data between stress and wanting to
have more healthy and vital life. I know a lot of life-extensionists and
they appear neither more nor less stressed than any other group. Rather
than make the argument in the direction which you have above, one could
as easily, say that life-extensionists are likely a less stressed group
because 1. they love life a great deal (that is why they want to keep on
having it endlessly), and 2. they are working to do something about it
rather than succumbing to the total lack of control over their death
which must be very stressful to most other poeple.

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-544-4440
innovative ideas and practical methods.