Telomeric Theory - Growth Factors

Excelife excelife at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 29 01:30:15 EST 1998

In article <6upjsi$vbt$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>, andrewmason at my-dejanews.com
says...

>Just some wild speculation here -
>
>An opinion I have read is that increased lifespan under CR may be a way of
an
>organism making the "best of a bad lot" when conditions are so bad that it
>would be unlikely that offspring would survive. Extending life until
>conditions improved may be a strategy that has evolved that optimises
>reproductive fitness under difficult conditions.
>
>Is it possible that the mechanism for this is lengthening of telomeres under
>CR, either via telomerase expression or the ALT pathway for lengthening
>telomeres seen in mice. Has anyone ever tested for telomere length extension
>in CR mice?
>
>Given the heated discussions between proponents of CR and those supporting
the
>telomere theory of aging in this newsgroup, it would be ironic if such a
>mechanism existed.
>
>Andrew

>http://www.dejanews.com/rg_mkgrp.xp   Create Your Own Free Member Forum

Unfortunately some of the argument appears to be about this possible
interaction.  When I merely mentioned that delaying mitotic activity through
CR may be beneficial I was attacked for mis-leading the group.

Even though this delayed mitotic activity delays the shortening of
the telomeres it is, apparently, not considered a "beneficial" effect.

Thomas Mahoney, Pres.
Lifeline Laboratories, Inc.
http://home.earthlink.net/~excelife/index.html