Telomeric Theory - Related Reseach - Mitochondria

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Sep 30 06:13:37 EST 1998

Tom Mahoney wrote:

> An interesting proposal to mitigate the damage to mtDNA has been
> proposed by Aubrey de Grey at Cambridge Univ.  He has suggested
> experiments wherein "we could use "nuclear mtDNA" to construct the 13
> proteins, (coded for by mtDNA) outside the mitochondria, and then
> import those proteins into mitochondria where they can do the job that
> the ones encoded in the damaged mtDNA are failing to do."

Actually this proposal was not original with me.  It was first (as far
as I know) made by Peter Hoeben of Queensland University of Technology
in Med. Hypotheses 41: 131-133 (1993).  The idea of using this method
to treat mtDNA-linked diseases was proposed even earlier, in 1990
(Lander and Lodish, Cell 61: 925-926).

However I have made some progress in identifying possible ways around
the major technical obstacles.  Currently my work on this topic is
available only as a preprint of a proceedings paper (copies on request),
but shortly I will get around to writing something more generally
accessible.

Aubrey de Grey