Cells and Aging

Tom Matthews tmatth at netcom.ca
Wed Mar 3 19:49:06 EST 1999

Thomas Mahoney wrote:

> In article <36DB8C86.7A0A6342 at ryley.com>, james at ryley.com says...

> >> It is my contention that "aging" is the result of the senescence or
> apoptosis
> >> of a significant number of cells in the system and that the "gradual"
> >> approach to these states by individual cells does not play a large role in
> >> the process.
> >
> >Aubrey might agree ;)  I find it unlikely.
>
> The evidence that cellular loss or thinning of cell walls is conducive to
> artheriosclerosis, that the majority of cancerous cells have by-passed
> senescence and that much immunological deterioration is the result of T-cell
> senescence all suggest that it is late stage cellular development or lack
> thereof that contributes the most to systems failures.

IMO, all three of those premises go far beyond what is proven.
1. There is no proof that any thinning of cell walls (I assume you mean
arterial walls here) even if conducive to artheriosclerosis is caused by
apoptosis generated by a reduction of telomere length of any cells.
2. The majority of cancer cells have bypassed senescence because all the
ones that did not are not detected because they have not caused the
symptoms of cancer. Furthermore, this likely has little relevance to
aging since the DNA in those cancer cells was mutated in such a way as
to make them divided more often than others of their kind or again they
would not have gotten to where they needed to by-pass senescence.
3. Finally, there is only evidence that T-cell senescence *may* be the
cause of immune deterioration in *some* cases (perhaps even likely in
AIDS). To conclude that T-cell senescence many be the cause of *all* or
even *most* immunological deterioration goes far beyond reason.

Since every one of your premises are so unproven, your conclusion that
"it is late stage cellular development or lack thereof that contributes
the most to systems failures" is wild conjecture in the extreme based on
current available evidence.

--Tom
Tom Matthews

The LIFE EXTENSION FOUNDATION - http://www.lef.org - 800-544-4440