CANCER CELL/TISSUE RESPIRATION IN CULTURE

PradipG pradipg at aol.com
Wed Mar 17 13:24:44 EST 1999

Thanks for your suggestion although I know this mechanism in cancer cells.
Mitocondrial oxidation is the major oxidation in a cell and contributes to the
major oxygen consumption.  In addition, the CO2 production by those cells are
also increased. It states that mtochondria is involved and in cancer cells, the
mitochondrial oxidation is more than normal cell mitochondrial oxidation. We
have also shown that antimitochondrial drug inhibits the mitochondrial
oxidation in both normal and cancer cells although the potentials of inhibition
are different. I agree that the cultured cells donot show their normal
biological effects. This is because of they lose their intercellular
interaction and three dimensional architecture and polarity. Their are lots of
factors which influence the cell functions in vitro. Still I believe, most
scientists use cell culture in order to establish the characteristics of cells
in-vivo effects.

This is just to send you the response. It did not come to me until I see that
you posted in news group without e-mailing me.