AGING versus AGEING - was: Mr. Wanyingi 130 years old ?

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Fri Nov 5 09:04:44 EST 1999

Michael Redecke wrote:

> some people speak about
> AGEING, other about AGING. What is the difference ? It is important if
> you are looking for literature.

The difference is that "ageing" is the British spelling and "aging" is the
American spelling.  I completely agree that this is a Bad Thing and I've
always used "aging" in publications (even though I'm British) for exactly
that reason; however, many journals impose local spelling regardless of
the author's wishes.  The silver lining is that Medline (and maybe some
others, I don't know) have spent time recently writing clever software
that understands synonymy at the level of text searching, such that you
get the same hits whichever you use.  (Almost... I guess there must be a
few fields not scanned this way.)  Now, if DejaNews would do that...

Aubrey de Grey