The Mitochondrial Free Radical Theory of Aging

Magnus Lynch mdl24 at cam.ac.uk
Sun Nov 7 20:40:48 EST 1999

> > Or could we find a way to selectively kill the cells with malfunctioning
> > mutant mitochondria??
>
> Perhaps; I explore that in Ch. 14.  There are problems with muscle fibres,
> which become mitochondrially mutant in segments.

Aubrey, are mitochondrial proteins expressed on MHC I? If so it would
conceivably be possible to immunize against common mutant versions of
mitochondrial proteins thus utilizing the immune system to selectively
remove these cells. I haven't seen your book so maybe this is one of the
possible methods which you discuss.

Magnus Lynch