MFRTA & the Ca Hypoth

robert charles walsh walshb at chicoma.la.unm.edu
Thu Nov 25 11:33:20 EST 1999

I just submitted a paper for my neurobiology class which explored
a possible relationship between the mitochondrial free radical theory
of aging and the calcium hypothesis of neuronal aging.  The calcium
hypothesis is that dysregulation of calcium homeostasis underlies
cellular changes responsible for senescence and dementia.

The paper's hypothesis was that accumulated oxidative damage in
mitochondria causes increased resting free calcium concentrations.
Because cells with damaged mitochondria show up as a mosaic pattern
in other postmitotic tissue, whereas the increased resting Ca is
more general, I concluded that the hypothesis was false.

Comments?

Bob Walsh