MiFR: Might CLA accelerate aging

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Tue Apr 4 15:42:00 EST 2000

Paul Brookes wrote:

> Of course, less CO2 per O2 inhaled could also be interpreted as more O2
> utilisation per CO2, i.e. a greater turnover of cytochrome oxidase for a
> given rate of TCA cycle - something proton leak would be very good at
> implementing.

I don't think so ... Turnover of COX is its electron throughput, which
very definitely IS fixed by the rate of the TCA cycle (unless NADH is
being synthesised some other way).  Increasing proton leak would
accelerate the turnover of COX only momentarily unless there was a
proportionate acceleration of TCA activity, because there would be no
electrons to transport.

> On another tack, any idea what CLA does to atherosclerosis, invoking the
> excercise paradox/mild LDL oxidation hypothesis?

Interesting question.  Medline gave me this:

Munday JS, Thompson KG, James KA.
Dietary conjugated linoleic acids promote fatty streak formation in the
C57BL/6 mouse atherosclerosis model.
Br J Nutr. 1999 Mar;81(3):251-5.

Aubrey de Grey