Biophysics and aging research

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Wed Dec 20 11:12:26 EST 2000

jubjub wrote:

> I was wondering if majoring in biophysics would allow me to go on to
> pursue aging research.  Does anyone here know of any biophysicists
> doing research into aging?  It seems like it's mostly geneticists.

All areas of biology are relevant to aging research -- in fact, they
are all necessary for aging research.  You're right that there are
plenty of geneticists in biogerontology, but there are also plenty
of biochemists, plenty of physiologists, plenty of cell biologists,
etc.  As for biophysics, just search PubMed for "biophysics aging"
and you'll see there's no shortage of work to be done.

Aubrey de Grey