Book: The Schwarzbein Principle

Sun Feb 13 06:12:50 EST 2000

In the book, Dr. Schwarzbein points out that counting calories from protein,
and to some extent from fats, as though they were used for energy, doesn't
make sense.
A reasonable amount of protein will only be used for making hormones and
and for buiding up muscle tissue.  Some fats are also used for essential
purposes.  Carbohydrates are mainly used for energy.  Vitamin C is an
An article available on the internet by searching altavista with keywords:
    +"Energy From Fats"
describes the process for complete oxidation of fats.  At the end, it
compares the
energy obtained from three glucose molecules versus one free stearic acid
Each has 18 carbon atoms and 36 hydrogen atoms.  Not only is more energy
obtained from the stearic acid, but it's weight is just over half that of the
Why is that?  Carbohydrate molecules carry additional oxygen atoms that don't
to the energy capability.  It's as if when we put gas in our cars, we also
had to fill up
with oxygen for combustion rather than using outside air.  Similarly, burning
fat uses
up oxygen in the cells which may have an antioxidant effect.  Fats cannot be
everywhere in the body for energy, but it can be used for muscles, which are
the biggest user.  Getting the body to use the fat is the problem, which my
supplement helps.
Ralph L. Samson