Caloric restriction slows brain aging

Mike Reilly m-reilly-without-the-spam at home.com
Sun Jul 9 21:39:58 EST 2000

Been a while since this thread was active.  _maybe_ someone will read this
reply... (see end of message for further comments).

>> My understanding is that they have succesfully inserted insulin
>> production using somatic cell therapy.
>
>Right - not somatic GENE therapy.  Many aspects of aging are due to
>depletion in the number we have of a particular type of cell, and this
>is an example; in many such cases it should be possible to replenish
>that cell type by introducing cells grown ex vivo. Gene therapy means
>introducing DNA synthesised ex vivo into cells that are already in vivo.
>This is what Geron, Roslin, ACT etc are pursuing and it's definitely
>of enormous value in anti-aging research.  But there are aspects of
>aging that somatic cell therapy is fundamentally inapplicable to,
>namely those which are not related to cell loss: these include the
>accumulation of intracellular junk (particularly lipofuscin), and
>also accumulation of mutations (including mitochondrial ones).  Gene
>therapy approaches to reversing much of this have been suggested, but
>not cell therapy ones.
>
>Aubrey de Grey
Perhaps I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the work in Edmonton
was both somatic gene and cell therapy - the beta cells were removed from a
patient, insulin production was re-instated, the cells cultured and then
re-introduced.