Caloric restriction slows brain aging

Aubrey de Grey ag24 at mole.bio.cam.ac.uk
Mon Jul 10 17:20:31 EST 2000

Mike Reilly wrote:

> If I'm reading you correctly, you are saying that while removing cells,
> engineering them, and re-implanting them is being done, we are not yet
> at the stage where we can manipulate the vast majority of cells that
> are in the body.

Sort of.  In situ gene therapy is also moving forward (and ex vivo gene
therapy still has plenty of problems), so it's not black and white, but
I think it's safe to say that in situ gene therapy is lagging.

> One point I haven't seen much research on is the effect of lipofuschin
> on cellular metabolism and function.

Right.  Ulf Brunk is virtually the only person working on this.  Look
him up in Medline.

> Any idea of the actual percentage of cellular volume that is being
> consumed by liposomes?

Lysosomes, not liposomes.  In the heart it approaches 10% by old age:
see Nakano et al, Mech Ageing Dev 66:243 as a representative study.
In the brain it is very variable between different regions and there is
also in some cases controversy about what is and is not lipofuscin, but
some areas surely get amounts comparable to the heart.

Aubrey de Grey