Situation of Physical Activity and Sport for the Elderly (50+)

Michael Brach Michael.Brach at uni-bonn.de
Thu Jul 20 06:20:12 EST 2000

INSTITUT FÜR SPORTWISSENSCHAFT UND SPORT
Bonn, Germany
Prof. Dr. Heinz Mechling
							July 2000

Inquiry: Situation of Physical Activity and Sport for the Elderly (50+)

Dear Madam, dear Sir,
dear colleagues,

This is just another questionnaire - you might think when receiving this
one. But there is a universal issue which unites us all - Aging. This
inquiry refers to aging and to one of the most urgent questions in the
aging populations we live in - how to stay competent until the old ages.

There is sufficient research evidence for the potential of appropriate
physical activities on positive health effects and on reversing
age-related changes. Despite of international programs as the Year of
the Elderly, national programs for the elderly, regional, local and even
personal initiatives, the number of people who get and stay regularly
physically active does not raise significantly.

The aim of this inquiry therefore is to arrive at an internationally
based survey on physical activity and sport of middle aged up to elderly
people in selected industrialised countries. The results shall help to
point out new ways in promoting physical activity and sport for the
elderly, to put new arguments to the political debate in this field and
to open new questions from the scientific point of view.

This inquiry addresses those people who have responsibility for senior
citizens either from a political, social, health, sports or science
related background. Please find the questionnaire form on our university
web server at

http://www1.prosite.de/ech0.de/sportinstitut/start.html

In your answers please give your personal opinion and direct them to the
situation in your country. The results of this inquiry like the
questionnaire will be put into the Internet and available for your
purposes, too. In order to arrive at results as soon as possible, it
would be necessary to have your personal answer until 05. August 2000.

Thank you very much for your support and for expressing your personal
opinion.

Yours sincerely,

Dr. Heinz Mechling

P.S.: You have received this e-mail because we believe you have a
professional interest in Aging and Physical Activity. If you have
received this message in error or you no longer wish to receive
information about Aging and Physical Activity simply reply to this
message and type "remove" in the subject box. We will remove your name
from the mailing list.

If you have already received a copy of this message it is because your
name appears on several mailing lists, please forgive us for bothering
you more than once.

Prof. Dr. Heinz Mechling and Michael Brach
Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universitaet Bonn
Institut fuer Sportwissenschaft und Sport
Nachtigallenweg 86
53127 Bonn
GERMANY
Tel. +49-228-91018-0