Accuracy of Microarrays

Aettius at aol.com Aettius at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 03:07:39 EST 2000

I would be very careful in putting too much faith in those microarray
studies. The experimental variation of an RT reaction (a key step involved in
all microarrays) on the "signal" of a specific gene is between 40 and 60% in
the hands of a professional. Statistical analyses rarely take this into
account and you have people publishing 2 fold increases as "statistically
highly significant". As a rule of thumb I would dismiss anything that is not
at least 3 fold increased as a fluke or as unproven.

 Florian

PS I see you are still very active on this board Aubrey.

---