Long lived clones!

Christina Wing cwing at austin.rr.com
Wed May 24 08:49:19 EST 2000

Aubrey de Grey wrote:

> There is sure to be, because this is a virtually inevitable result of
> the rapid cell division during embryogenesis.  Cells with ramdomly lower
> levels of mtDNA damage will typically divide more rapidly because they
> have better ATP synthesis capacity, and their descendents will form the
> bulk of the organism.  This is probably accentuated by the fact that
> mitochondria can't divide very fast unless they are genetically intact.

In that case, if there is no selection mechanism during meiosis itself,
there should be no difference in mtDNA from randomly selected pre-ovulatory
egg cells and randomly selected other tissue cells from same organism. Has
anyone ever looked into that?

> There's the intercellular competition described above; there's also a
> lot of selection at ovulation (many eggs begin to mature but only one
> gets out of the ovary each month), though we don't know how this is
> driven;

Is there less mtDNA damage in post-ovulatory eggs than in other cells in
the same organism?